Monday, February 18, 2008

Mmmm Brownies

I got a new cookbook for christmas that is from "America's Test Kitchen". There's a pbs show called "From America's Test Kitchen" and they put out the magazine "Cook's Illustrated". I'm a big fan of both. The deal with America's test kitchen is that they test their recipes over and over again until they come up with the perfect formula for almost guaranteed success - and up until now...its worked well for me.

I have been trying a lot of the recipes on the weekends. Pot Roast - good, easy mac-n-cheese - good, chocolate chip cookies - good, peanut butter cookies - good, roast beef - good. Spaghetti ala Carbonara - not good - but I think that was my fault, not the recipe I'll try again another time. Anyway - their brownie recipe - called "Bake Sale Brownies" is really good and so easy - I don't think I'll use boxed browine mix ever again.

Every test kitchen recipe comes with some background info. Because boxed brownie mixes tend to have so much "other" stuff besides regular baking products in them, they were searching for a recipe that was as quick and easy as using a box mix, but that tasted much better - mission accomplished.

3 oz Unsweetened Chocolate - cut into chunks (I've used Bakers brand each time)
1 stick unsalted butter (cut into chunks)
1 cup Sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour

Lightly spray an 8 inch square metal or glass pan with cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 350.

Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave on high for 1-3 minutes - in 30 second intervals - stirring after each 30 seconds until melted...let cool slightly while you get the other ingredients together.

Whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and salt in another bowl until well blended. Mix in the chocolate and butter until totally combined, then stir in the flower until there are no more white streaks.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake 22-25 minutes - until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Let cool for on a wire rack at least 1/2 an hour before cutting.

They're fudgy without being dense! Bad camera phone picture sorry - its all I had with me.


I've also made these with peanutbutter on top - sort of swirled in before they go in the oven - also very good! Megan - I think you could master these!

No comments: