Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Migranes and Food...

This doesn't sound like a fun post...but - after another migraine today, for no apparent reason (2 in Feb so far, 2 in January) - I need to try something else before I give in and go on a daily prophylactic drug, which seems too extreme. Plus I'm really bad at remembering to take pills every day. So - I'm going to attempt to do a "mostly" whole food diet - meaning nothing processed for a while - MSG in all its forms can be a trigger and it's in so many processed foods (often as "other natural flavoring").

Other foods I'm supposed to avoid - aged cheese (sadness), chocolate (bummer), caffeine (was down to 1 cup of coffee or soda a day anyway), diet or other soda (I will miss this most I think), splenda (at least I won't be drinking coffee), nitrates (hot dogs, sausage and lunch meat - boo). I guess I probably shouldn't eat most candy either - red vines, skittles, starburst...can you see the tears?

So here goes - I guess I should grocery shop, probably at trader joes and whole foods- either that or starve to death. Mostly I just need to be able to track what's going into my food, and in turn, my body - and write it down. So if/when I get another migraine I'll know what I've eaten and can narrow down the triggers. But I won't be boring any of you with these lists - just maybe some recipes I try.

I've got the Pioneer Woman pizza dough in the fridge now...plan to make that on Friday :) And I'll use fresh mozzarella (since it's not in the aged category) - and roasted vegetables and fresh olive oil from Fresno State - maybe some cherry tomatoes (don't feel like messing with the eggplant in her recipe). Maybe I'll throw some roasted chicken on too.

I'm going to have to be alot more organized with my food and actually cook on the weekends and grocery shop. Luckily the closest restaurant to the office is called Fresh Foods Cafe, and it's all natural, no preservatives etc...so at least if I don't get lunch packed, I can stop over there for a salad or homemade soup. Oh and I really want to order that sour dough starter mentioned on Bake at 350, but then of course I want to order the stone wear crock that goes with it. How awesome would homemade sourdough be every week?

Ok - enough of that - here's a few recent pictures.

80 degrees on Valentines day...priceless. Not to mention all us girls usually get all geared up and fight with each other - so sundresses and mimosas are a nice change!


Made some cookies for the V-day brunch - they were a big hit!


Dressed as D-bags/Jersey Shore/Orange County for a themed b-day...


I just like this picture (from the party above) because it shows how gigantic Katie's head is! I guess it's okay since she's 6'3". But seriously? It's big!

And PS - if I don't lose some weight in this whole - whole foods - experience I'll be ANNOYED! We'll see how long it lasts - wish me luck and email me awesome recipes :)

1 comment:

BellaLovesPink said...

Bummer about the migranes! I wish I had some good recipes to share. Visit tastykitchen.com too, it's a PW spin-off forum with great recipes submitted and some for dietary restrictions too.

Love the brunch photo!