Sunday, July 05, 2009

Fun on the 4th

The 4th of July is so much better when it falls on a weekend - having the three day weekend really made it more relaxing.

Friday, a friend and I rode our bikes to seal beach for lunch, then sat at the beach for a while and rode back to long beach in time for our normal 5:30 workout. Then out for dinner and drinks for a friends birthday. A great day all around.

All of that happened after I made my first cheesecake. It didn't exactly go as planned, and the top goy WAY too dark, way too early. But I managed to fix that I think...and then hide it with a really good mixed berry topping (raspberries and blueberries).

Of course I forgot to take a picture before we cut it...but you can see how patriotic it was...and it tasted really good. Two people already asked me to make one for their upcoming birthdays. I'm about to eat the last leftover piece right now and I'm VERY excited!


I also spent much of saturday making these 7 layer Jell-O shots. Or I mean finger Jell-O - ok they did have some vodka in them, but they weren't too strong. :) Layered Jell-O is either a Hawaiian or Japanese recipe and a co-worker used to always bring it to potlucks...so I decided to try it with our countries colors. It was a big hit. The white layer is sweetened condensed milk, thinned with boiling water, then mixed with plain gelatin - a little creamy but not too sweet. I like the white layer best I think. There are leftovers though - not sure where exactly to take leftover jell-o shots...


I took the cake and jell-o to a bbq hosted by a woman I work out with. The weather was great and the fireworks were impressive and all the food was awesome...

This is the group after the fireworks - mostly people I work out with at the dojo.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Love the layered Jello! And I am glad the cheesecake turned out fine. It looks delicious!